Resume: Barry I. Friedman
Digital Media Leader
Creative, collaborative communications leader with 20 years’ experience in innovation that increases engagement and expands audiences. Building on expertise in writing and editing, I have guided creation of numerous websites and content verticals and implemented social media strategies and mobile platforms while teaming with the sales staff to drive new revenue.
Professional Experience & Accomplishments
Lkldnow.com, Lakeland: Editor & Publisher, 2015
Content strategist, business manager, chief writer, social media engager. At a small start-up, you do a little of everything. Lkldnow.com is overseen by a nonprofit organization, Linking Community Now, Inc., whose mission is to foster civic engagement and train young journalists.
The Ledger, Lakeland: Managing Editor / Digital, January 2008-July 2014 – Led newsroom digital activities and expanded digital engagement.
- Conceptualized and supervised the building of specialty websites covering entertainment, high school sports, college sports, politics, outdoors activities and parenting.
- Expanded social media use, video and multimedia storytelling, live event coverage, databases, data visualization, staff blogs and photo galleries.
- Directed the newsroom’s transition to a 24-hour news cycle.
- Guided development of company’s first iPad and iPhone apps.
- Appointed to company team selecting a print-and-digital content management system.
The Ledger, Lakeland: Online Operations Director, February 2006 to January 2008 – Directed digital content and revenue activity during a period of heavy expansion.
- Implemented classified verticals for employment, autos and real estate; established first video coverage; article comments; forums; events calendar, and email newsletters.
- Created PolkVoice.com, a citizen news site that fed a weekly print publication; daily lunchtime news podcast; Spanish-language website, and homepage customization.
- Increased monthly web traffic 88 percent and revenue 32 percent.
The Ledger, Lakeland: Electronic Media Editor, July 1998 to February 2006 – Created and guided development of theledger.com and related sites.
- Wrote business plan for theledger.com and steered it from a single page on the Web to a network of sites generating several million page views per month and adding new revenue streams.
- Created The Ledger’s first e-commerce site, dining guide, community guide and comprehensive election site. Authored The Ledger’s first blogs: Polk News Watch and live hurricane coverage.
- Harnessed technology to create hyperlocal sites for cities and schools that required little upkeep.
Features Editor: Directed the features staff and the daily features section, weekend entertainment magazine, TV Book, food section and seniors magazine. Learned HTML and created The Ledger’s first websites.
News Editor: Directed the content and design of the A section (national/international) and B section (local/state) and supervised the editors responsible for those sections.
City Editor: Directed hard news coverage throughout Polk County, supervising three assistant city editors and nearly 20 reporters.
THE TAMPA TIMES
City Editor: Supervised local reporting staff for an afternoon metropolitan newspaper.
Assistant City Editor: Supervised reporters, edited content, handled rewrite.
Reporter: Beats included county government, politics and environment. Covered the Florida Legislature and shared the FSNE Award for depth reporting.
- Member, Florida Society of Newspaper Editors, Associated Press Managing Editors, Online News Association, Newspaper Association of America
- Florida Southern College, taught digital journalism course, 2005
- Advisor, Florida Southern College student newspaper, 2006
- Recent awards: 2014 FSNE, niche site, 1st place; 2013 FSNE, multimedia, 1st place, and niche website, 3rd place; 2008 Sunshine State, best news website, third place (no size category); 2007 Digital Edge finalist, most innovative multimedia storytelling
- Leadership Lakeland Alumni Association
- Past President, Harrison Arts Center Parent Board
- Past President, Dixieland Elementary Parent Teacher Association
- Past President, Beth Shalom, Winter Haven
- Past Vice President, Temple Emanuel, Lakeland
- Built first website for Platform Art
University of Florida, Bachelor of Science in Journalism